Welcome....

"...at its core....art is simply the language of the soul" -Robert Redford

Thanks for stopping by. Please enjoy your stay here. Have some Sweet Tea, grab a chair and sit a spell. Rekindle your SOUL, Embrace the ART and Believe your DREAMS. Stay as long as you like and come back soon. Friends are always welcome here.

Wednesday, November 4

Make your own Glitter Dots and Shapes Tutorial


I am working on a project for a 25 Days of Christmas swap (I'll be able to share that later on December 9th!!) One of the embellishments I am using are Glitter Dots. It is a very cool and effective embellishment to use on your ART. I learned about them from the book Pretty Little Felts. From there I of course tweaked the idea to make it my own. I not only made Dots but other Shapes as well.

You need to assemble:

  • Fine glitter (I used Martha Stewart antique silver and antique gold
  • Glue (I used Regular Elmer's Glue-all)
  • White cardstock
  • Hole and Shape Punches
  • Old Credit card or stiff piece of card stock
  • Wax Paper (Not pictured)
  • Acrylic Sealer (Optional)
  • Glitter Tray (Optional)


Place your cardstock on a sheet of wax paper; squirt with glue



Spread your cardstock with an even layer of glue using the credit card or the cardboard.


Sprinkle liberally with the glitter(s).
I used each glitter separately and also did one piece that was a blend of the two.


Let dry completely!!

I learned the hard way (by being impatient) that this is an important step. Leave it alone overnight and your glitter will stick much better!!

Tap off the excess glitter.


Now to use them......punch out your glitter dots or shapes and glue to your ART!!

I'm not sure if you can tell or not but the top half of each sheet above was sprayed with the sealer, while the bottom half was left untouched. If you click the pic you can probably see the difference.



Ta-Da.....cheap, quick and easy glittery embellishments!! :::Smiles:::


Now, for the Acrylic Sealer.....all I had handy was matte finish. It did keep the glitter from shedding as much but also dulled it down. Depends on the look you are going for. I'm thinking that gloss sealer might be the best of both worlds. I will try that on the next batch I just made tomorrow when they are dry. I also have a batch currently drying on a copper colored paper to see if I like that better!! :)

I did run them through my Xyron sticker maker and that worked great!!


Glitter disclaimer.....you will have glitter in your hair, guaranteed when you are done with this project!! :::Smiles::: But that makes it a good day, don't you think??

7 comments:

Jeri Aaron said...

Shelly, great tutorial - thanks for sharing this with us.

Diann said...

How neat, Shelly...this is a great idea and I appreciate the tutorial!
Diann

Arty Cards n Crafts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara Hagerty said...

Thanks, Shelly! Now I just need to go out and get some Christmas shape puches...but I do have a snowflake that I'm going to experiment with as soon as I'm off the computer! Your technique would look so wonderful over an ornament shape...must go shopping now.....XOXO

Dragonlady said...

What a net idea and thanks for the tutorial...these will look good on almsot anything...
hugs
Brenda

Carol's Crafts said...

I love it, Shelly. I don't have many
shape punches, but I do have snowflakes. Won't they be awesome snow flakes? Thanks for sharing this
cool project.

Julie Ann said...

LOL!!! Love your disclaimer! And yes, it does make it a good day. What a great tutorial. I am going to have to give this one a try. TFS!!!